Friday, August 31, 2007

Dealing with the Bully Threat







Dear Parents,

Our children return to school in a few days. We all know that the school experience should be one of the best in our child's life. But sadly it often is not. In the US the statistic is that 3 to 4 out of 10 children are bullied to the point where it can significantly effect their lives. Everyone has been bullied to some extent, but many find their own answers.

Bakc when I was a child, the problem existed, but was more isolated than it is today. The fast numbers of children I talk with daily, who are or have been bullied is staggering.

So, what are parents to do? First, for the parents, get as much information on the problem as you can find. I provide links from my different website to resources that I have checked out personally and recommend at different levels. So really, do I need to know all this? YES, don't think that your son or daughter is going to come and tell you how sever the problem is. Remember there is a threat about telling. Children believe the bully has all the power.

I have been teaching martial arts for almost 25 years now. I develop a close relationship with the students and many of the parents. I have the privilege of watching these children grow up. I deal daily with children who are bullied and often with the bullies themselves.

Why does someone become a bully?

  1. Low Self Esteem
  2. They have been bullied themselves.
  3. Love the feeling of power.
  4. Pier pressure - their friends do it.
  5. They learned it from their parents!!!
What type of child is a victim?

  1. Someone with low Self Esteem and confidence
  2. Someone who is physically different (glasses, hearing aids, different coloured hair etc.)
  3. Emotional children
  4. Obese children, also those who are very skinny.
  5. Quiet children.
How do we fix it? First and foremost, RAISE SELF ESTEEM.......

More on this in my next posting,


Master Art Mason
Founder: The Peaceful Warriors' Martial Arts Institute
519-962-9820

PS. Take a look at the WEBSITE. I have read parts of this work. It is worth the investment.

No comments: